Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Cracked Stone Butterfly



EK:   Ling and I have been friends for about six years. We were first, workmates -- me, newly-transferred after having spent five years doing loads of legwork and city stories from another section, and she, having just joined the company.

It didn't take long for us to become friends. As a friend, you really couldn't ask for a better person -- she's steadfast, rational, loyal and infinitely supportive. And an uber-foodie (always a good thing in my book)!

In the time when I was inking in the United States though, we've not always kept in contact. We would just write the occasional "Hi, how are you doing?" e-mail to one another.When we touched down in July, she was one of the first people I spoke to, and she organised a welcome home dinner at Tropicana City Mall -- one that brought together "the old gang". Since then, we've tried to get everyone together for a good chowdown every once in a while, and each time, the saying "a good time was had by all" held true.

I was a little surprised when she mentioned that she already had her first tattoo -- a pretty little piece of Celtic knotwork -- and was looking for a second one. Quite frankly, Ling didn't strike me as the type who would ever get ink, which shows you what an ass I've made of myself from making presumptions, even upon a good friend. As for picking what she picked, and how it came about, I'll just let Randy tell you about it.

Randy: When Ling mentioned butterflies, I immediately reflected back on a piece I drew up years ago that held great significance for me. It was a butterfly that evolved from cracked and crumbling stone into full color.

I had been looking for the right person to wear the design; someone that understood that we all start out in this world weighted to the earth, where we must keep ourselves strong, and take the punishment that life and learning throws our way until the day comes when we achieve, through the lessons we have learned, the ability to fly, without the need for stone armor.

While I have not known Ling very long, or in great detail, something about this young lady strikes a chord there. Or, to be more precise, many things about her, from her personality as described by my wife in the paragraphs above, to the smile that takes over every feature of her face at simple, seemingly insignificant things overlooked by those who are still firmly seated in the stonework phase.

We discussed the design, and it was clear to me that she got it, without me having to explain it's intended meaning. After many, many years, and dozens of conversations with people who wanted butterfly tattoos, I finally met someone who understood. And, she wanted to wear the design!

I was a little concerned after looking over my drawing. There were some very very small details that absolutely *must* be in the finished product, which meant doing some of the work with the two most brutal needles in the tattooist's arsenal, a three and a single. I take a lot of pride having gentle hands, and have always been of the belief that the less tattoos hurt, the more people will enjoy the entirety of the experience. But singles and threes are painful even in the most gentle of hands. Ling took it like a champ, staying virtually motionless regardless of what needle I was using at the time.

(EK: Ling had worried about the pain factor earlier, so I cleared my tattoo schedule to be able to help out. She didn't need any, as it turned out. We spent the majority of her tat session yakking with Susan aka Spitfire Sus who'd dropped by to say hi. Randy spent the majority of his tat session...lost in his work.)

I Am also a firm believer that time should not be a factor when it comes to artwork, and as the tattoo began to take shape on her skin, I made a few alterations, some for better fit to the body part, some for more visual interest, some that just felt, well, "right". As the detail began to appear, I enjoyed the mental shift into what I call "Artspace", and the myriad perceptive changes that shift brings with it. Before long, three and a half
hours had passed, and I was looking at the results of my efforts. And again, there was the smile I described earlier, simply glowing in her eyes, as she looked at the finished product in the mirror.

Do we, as artists, get caught up in our work? I'd have to say, "Yes!", but then that's the difference between an artist and someone who can draw, paint, sculpt, or work in any of the artistic mediums; the passion. And like many other artists I know, the passion for what we do is the point of doing it. We all start out trying to impress people with our skill, but there comes that time, if we persist in growing as artists, where the passion flowing through us as we create is the ultimate rush. It's that instant where time stops, where perception overtakes logic, where judgments are replaced by a world composed entirely of subtle nuances that cannot be described in words.

I have to say, working with Ling, and doing this tattoo sated my addiction to the rush.

3 comments:

  1. that is some SERIOUS detail. great work you two.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Koon & Randy, thank YOU very much for allowing me the honour to wear such an awesomely beautiful piece of art! I've really enjoyed the process and it's been wonderful to be part of your passionate work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both.

    And Ling, the honor here is all ours, but one of these days when we're both really bored we can always sit down and pencil it out on paper, figure out who enjoyed it more! *wink*

    Randy.

    ReplyDelete